Monday, November 24, 2008

The 24th Annual....



It's that time of year again! This week kicks off what is usually my busiest & most favorite time of year (Thanksgiving-Christmas). Not only is it Autumn which brings Thanksgiving, but this week every year Knoxville hosts The East Tennessee Children's Hospital's Fantasy of Trees. The Fantasy of Trees is the hospital's largest fundraiser. This year, all proceeds go to purchase equipment and other needs for the hospital's inpatient units, Surgery, and Radiology departments. I love service, no matter what kind! But this fundraiser is particularly close to my heart. My family & many friends work the event as volunteers. I've been almost every year since I was born, & this will be my 11th year working the event. I have seen how many lives have been touched by this incredible venture. Including my own niece (by marriage), Jalene, who battled cancer at the young age 2yr old & won with the help of ETCH.
The event begins the day before Thanksgiving & ends the Sunday after (Nov. 26-30th). There are crafts for children(free & $), lively shows, beautiful displays, & even Santa Claus! Most definitely something for everyone...even the "Scrouges". Check out the links for more info, times, & prices. There will also be a link on my sidebar for information year round! I invite you to come kick off the holiday season with something you will never forget & is sure to become a family tradition.

I must admit, I do feel really odd this year. Normally, I start working as an recruiter for this event in August or September. But this year, things are so topsy-truvy that I haven't done any recruiting at all. Also, last year, pregnant & sick, & worked all but 4 shifts & loved every minute of it. This year, I'm working only 1. I keep being told I shouldn't feel bad, but I can't help it! It's odd, not like me, & definitely not my typical routine this time of year. I can only hope that next year will be more settled & I'll be back to my normal. At any rate, we will definitely be attending & working so expect pictures!

6 comments:

erin said...

I hate that I miss the festival of trees every year because I go out of town for Thanksgiving. I wish they extend it and make it a whole week. I would love to see all the trees...

Laura said...

Oh man! I have never been to this and I have always wanted to go. I had planned on going this year but I didnt' realize that it's only for a few days and I will be out of town. Oh well. I will definately go next year! It sounds really nice.

Emily said...

Sounds like a wonderful event and workinf one shift is a lot when you are balancing work, a child and a husband and church! Be proud of yourself for going out there and doing what you can!

Marla said...

I used to work events also there! LOL I wonder if we ever ran into each other! It was great and we really enjoyed ourselves!

andrea said...

The first year (or two) of being a mom I was a complete mess. If I did one thing each day I counted it as a success! Hahaha.

Thanks so much for leaving me such sweet comments on my blogs. :) I really appreciate it!

Lindsey Rose said...

We never remember about this! How sad we missed it again! What a great event, ans that is so neat you volunteer! WTG!